|| Contents of the Archives Catalogue
Marine Biological Association, Director and Secretary
The Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom was founded in 1884 and the Plymouth Laboratory opened in 1888. The Association and Laboratory are governed by a Council, and the first Honorary Secretary was Professor E. Ray Lankester. He was succeeded in 1890 by Professor G. Herbert Fowler, but the office of Honorary Secretary was abolished in 1902 when Dr E.J. Allen, Director of the Plymouth Laboratory, took over the duties of Secretary. Since that date the Plymouth Directors have also held the dual position of Secretary to the Association's Council. Institutional papers of the Director and Secretary's Office therefore include material relating to the Association, the Council and the Plymouth Laboratory. Although there is inevitable overlap within and between the files, the archives are arranged broadly in three groups: (1) The Marine Biological Association; (2) The Council; (3) The Director's Office.